Thursday, September 1, 2011

"Wow.... really? Why??"

That is a very common response I get when I tell people I'm going to be a surrogate. Usually it comes from the people who don't really understand, the people who don't get it. But it leads to a very interesting topic and very legitimate question: Why am I doing this? Why do I want to be a surrogate? Why, why, why?


As I mentioned in my first post, being a surrogate is something I have thought about for a few years. Something I wanted to do for a long time. But why? I don't know... why not?


The short answer that I started with was this: I loved being pregnant, I had no morning sickness, no complications, (almost) no complaints. I loved feeling my baby move inside me, I would love to do it again. But I don't want another baby to keep at this point in my life. My uterus young and healthy, but it is empty and not going to be occupied for personal use any time in the near future. So why not help someone out and let their baby use it for a year? Something that is so easy for me, is so difficult or impossible for someone else... so why wouldn't I help them?

Then I thought harder, and considered the bigger picture. Ever since I can remember, I have loved children, and especially babies. They are so cute and soft and snuggly and amazing!! When I got pregnant with my daughter at 18, I was less than excited. I was TERRIFIED. But then the excitement came, and becoming a mother is the most amazing, life changing experience I've ever had. My daughter is the best thing that has ever happened to me, the best "accident" I could have ever asked for :) She teaches me daily, more than I could have ever imagined. She brings me endless love and joy, I am amazed by her more and more every day. The funny things she says, the new things she learns, the things she observes and retains, her empathy, her sensitivity, her compassion for others at the ripe age of 5 and three quarters :) How much she needs me, counts on me, learns from me. The amount of love you feel for your own child is indescribable, something you cannot comprehend until you have a child of your own.


I can't imagine someone wanting to have a baby so badly and not being able to do so. My short answer combined with my longer answer brings me to the simple conclusion that I just want to help someone fulfill their dreams of being parents and having a family.


Thanks for reading
xoxo







1 comment:

Jeni said...

Cute daughter...cute Mama! Great post!